Sonntag, 18. Januar 2015

Tentacles and Politics

Last year I painted some mugs with porcelain paint. Unfortunately, the paint didn't last at all even though I followed the instruction on the pens to the letter.
On Friday, I decided to give it a new try and scrubbed the old paint from my mug. After painting it again, I put the mug into the oven for 50 minutes at 170 degrees. (On the pen it says "30 minutes at 160 degrees...) Now the paint seems to be more durable, but the brown paint got cracks and does not look very even. All in all, I like the result and the cracked paint in the letters fits the "topic" of my mug, but next time I'll use a different brand.

 Next, I used my button maker to produce a political statement. I think it's awful that "Social Justice Warrior" has become a pejorative word, or that people seem to think that it is a great way to insult somebody by saying that he or she fights for social justice. In my opinion, social justice is something everybody should strive for and to say that somebody is stupid because he or she believes that we all should try to abolish injustice is just cynical and disgusting. In German, the term "Gutmensch" is now used as an insult, and I don't like that, but at least the "Gut" in "Gutmensch" is open for interpretation and can refer to different kinds of "gut". "Social justice", however, has a very specific meaning.
But I'll gladly call myself a "Social Justice Warrior",  and I don't want the term "social justice" to become spoiled. Language belongs to those who speak it and therefore we can influence its development. So I will proudly wear my new button!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen